Learn for life, lead for life, serve for life
The Outdoor Education program encourages students from Year 7 to develop social and leadership skills, build teamwork and challenge themselves physically and emotionally.
Students at Bishop Tyrrell have a range of Outdoor Education experiences available to them.
- Year 7 - Myuna Bay on Lake Macquarie. Students experience flat water kayaking, sailing, giant swing, high and low ropes, flying fox, abseiling, rock climbing, and team rescue initiative.
- Year 8 - Barrington Tops. Students experience riparian walk, tree planning, survival skills and white water canoeing.
- Year 9 - Barrington Tops. Students experience rainforest walks, white water kayaking, white water canoeing and mountain biking.
- Year 10 - Sydney. Students camp on Cockatoo Island, travel throughout Sydney using public transport and participate in a range of activities including charity work and an Aboriginal cultural session.
- Year 11 - Snowy Mountains. Students are introduced to an alpine environment and can ski or snowboard.
- Year 12 - Port Stephens. Designed as a ‘retreat’ this camp is aimed at preparing students for the Higher School Certificate.
Duke of Edinburgh
Bishop Tyrrell has offered the internationally recognised Duke of Edinburgh award to students since 2000.
Students over the age of 14 can work towards their Bronze, Silver or Gold Awards. Training for expeditions is held during lunchtime, with key practice and assessment weekends occurring in the local area.
Students can personalise their program, completing four mandatory sections from the following choices:
- Physical Recreation – sport and fitness
- Skill – learn a new skill
- Volunteering – connect with community
- Adventurous Journey – a journey into an unfamiliar environment
- Residential Project (Gold Award only) – live and work in a place of need in Australia or overseas
Bishop Tyrrell is a member of the Duke of Edinburgh Award Lower Hunter Support Group. Students can have their awards presented to them at the organisation’s annual presentation night.